undercoverbossimage

A University of Aberdeen study indicated that the single most important factor to a person’s satisfaction and overall well-being is job satisfaction. How we feel about our work is a bigger predictor to life satisfaction than how we feel about our family, health, finances, leisure or social life. Work plays a major role in our well-being. Of 250,000 people surveyed in a Gallup poll, only 30% found their work to be inspiring. The other 70% hated their jobs. People who are miserable at work tend to be miserable in life. A study by John Maxwell found that, outside of genetics, job satisfaction was the #1 predictor of how long a person will live. Obviously, work and our approach to it, is very important.

Scriptures
Ec 4:9, 5:19, 9:10; Col 3:23; Gn 2:15, 3:17-19; Mt 6:34, 11:28-30; Pr 13:10,14:30; Gal 6:4-5; Lk 9:62;
1 Co 15:58; Jn 5:17

Verse
To enjoy your work and accept your lot in life—this is indeed a gift from God. (Ec 5:19)
Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as though you were working for the Lord and not for people. (Col 3:23)

Thought
Here are some things that will improve your work attitude. 1) Thank God it’s Monday. As you are heading to work remember work is a gift from God, be thankful. 2) Crush it! Work to the best of your ability, be conscientious and take initiative. You are working for the Lord! 3) Remember Jesus is beside you. You do not work alone. It’s always you and Jesus. You can accomplish things you couldn’t do on your own. 4) Don’t be defensive. Be teachable. Allow yourself to learn from others. There’s something to learn from just about everyone. 5) Don’t compare your career advancement with others. Envy and jealousy will ruin you. God gave each of us our own work to do and we are responsible for our own conduct. 6) Expect problems. Work will be hard. Problems are the norm; tackle them. Don’t quit or give up. 7) Embrace your job, no matter how menial. The Kingdom of God isn’t just at church; it’s at work, at home, everywhere. You spend 40+ hours at work each week. Your work is a place of spiritual formation. Learn to be with Jesus all the time, no matter where you are or what you are doing. 8) Expand your network. Extend yourself to co-workers. Connect and be a light in your workplace. 9) You can never retire. Nowhere in the Bible does it say there’s a time when you can hang it up and do nothing but seek pleasure. Your work will change; the pace will change, but being part of the work God is doing in this world is your life-long calling. God has a purpose for your life from beginning to end. Work at it with all your heart.

Questions
Relating to your work…How do you feel about Monday? Why? Would the people you work with say that you “Crush it”? How does recognizing the presence of Jesus with you affect your day? Are you teachable or defensive? Do you often compare yourself with others? How does that affect you? How do you respond when problems arise? Are you part of a team? What does retirement mean to you?

Response
Ask a co-worker for an honest assessment of what it’s like to work with you. As you do your work, remember that Jesus is with you always and everywhere.

Prayer
Lord, I know you have placed me in my job for a reason that is bigger than just earning money. Help me to learn and grow through my work and through those I come in contact with. Help me to work at all I do with integrity and excellence. Guide my paths. May I be an active part of your kingdom here on Earth. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen.